Music Banter - View Single Post - Emo bands with singing vocals?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowquill
blasphemous krucifixion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLizardx View Post
And so it begins. "Emo" is basically an almost utterly subjective definition, these days - the word has been appropriated and applied to so many different sub-genres that it's essentially meaningless.

Therefore, I will not apologise for using the word in two differing contexts:
a. to refer to the subgenres with which I personally associate it
and b. to refer to the genres/ subgenres that are associated with the word in popular/ mainstream conceptions.

Why the latter? Because chances are, no matter what your personal [and potentially more informed] perspective on the matter may be, if someone who doesn't know much about this area of music uses the term, then they probably are actually picturing something that sounds more like Fall Out Boy.

Obviously, understanding context is always expedient when trying to conduct a conversation. Since the person who asked the question doesn't [IMO] seem to know much about the genre[s], then I provided a list of what I thought she would most likely wish to hear.

Now, you can waste your time getting all holier-than-thou about my more pragmatic approach, or you can learn to accept the fact that the meanings of words evolve and change, and that, moreover, it makes absolutely no difference to you what another person listens to - no one is forcing you to follow suit.

Now please, re-consider your elitist attitude. It's neither big, nor clever, and it certainly doesn't make you seem cooler than the other kids.
Hey first off I don't super appreciate the last comment. My one sentence contained no judgement about personality just a statement disagreeing with how you choose to group things based on sound so please don't make an assessment on my ego. I don't need it. I'm not accusing you of being an elitist, big, or clever so don't do the same to me. It's rude.

Secondly, what you're suggesting is counterproductive to the way genres actually function. The point of them is to group things according to like sonic characteristics, which is not subjective. I can objectively say that the Damned and the Ramones are similar bands. I can point towards song structure, guitar tones, the complexity of the riffs, tempo, et cetera and definitively say "these belong in the same cadre of bands" in a way that I can't argue that the Ramones and Miles Davis do.

So if you want to keep calling Flyleaf screamo go ahead but people are going to call you out on it (including me) and whether you cry about it being "elitist" or not. You're completely ignoring large aspects of music history as well as articles in this forum that have shaped the emo discussion here for years.

In the meanwhile I'm going to suggest he/she listen to....

Sunny Day Real Estate

American Football

Last edited by Crowquill; 01-03-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Crowquill is offline   Reply With Quote