Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unquiet Grave
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #40 (permalink)
Taxman
watching the wheels

TAXMAN'S TEN FAVOURITE RECORDS FROM THE NINETIES

PART II

THE SOFT BULLETIN

Released: 1999
By whom: The Flaming Lips
About the band: As everybody knows The Flaming Lips (led by Wayne Coyne) have recorded many great albums. Trough the nineties they released a classic after a classic. Filled with clever lyrics, great melodies and even some experiments (like Zaireeka).
However The Soft Bulletin is more normal than those earlier albums, for better of worse. It is not as unique, but I'm pretty old-fashioned and I think I like it better. Sadly the world don't give a damn.

Why I like about that album? Wayne really knows how to pen a great melody. Also album is quite melancholic and does not really rock. Influences are clear: Pet Sounds, some Beatles and so on. Surprisingly (or not) there's also some electro rhythms thrown in for a good measure. However, I think that album still sounds unique. Every song sounds more or less the same but it is a great sound I think. Lot of synths there, but don't let them annoy you, they are used well. Also Flaming Lips' lyrics are always smart, clever, even funny and at least, completely cliché-free.

What I don't like about that album? Again, an instrumental called The Observer is a bore, you see I don't like instrumentals that much. Also the version I own is stupid. It has no The Spiderbite Song at all, but instead it has radio mixes of Race for the Prize and Waitin' for a Superman. Stupid. And after those comes the greatest song on the record, called Buggin'. So I have to skip those stupid radio mixes if I wanna hear it.

Best tracks: Buggin', Race for the Prize, The Gash (that chorus is mindblowing), waiting for a Superman and Suddenly Everything Has Changed

Final Words: Great, great album. Tuneful songs, great production, clever lyrics plus I completely adore Wayne's singing voice. It may be shakey but it is pretty beautiful.

Race for the Prize:
The Flaming Lips - Race For The Prize [Official Music Video] - YouTube