Music Banter - View Single Post - Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #317 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
So the guys who you give credit before Elvis stole it after Elvis. Got it. Maybe you should just admit that you want black people to be the kings and queens of rock, when in reality it was a joint effort to create the genre, and Elvis is undeniably the biggest figure of the genre's early stages. So, he's the king.

Deal with it sis.
Well I don't have to deal with anything because I don't drink the koolaid lol

What I want is for African Americans to get the respect and credit they deserve. Not saying that they don't at all but alot of these legendary African American musicians and artists that changed music NEVER get their rightful just due.

The question is not asking "who is the biggest figure in the rock n roll genre". The question is asking who is the original pioneer of rock n roll so the fact that Elvis is the face of the genre really does not necessarily conclude that he pioneered it.

Elvis came from a era where most African American musicians and artists were not given their fair share musically and if they weren't singing R&B/Pop they didn't have a chance of crossing over. Unfortunately, most African Americans who pioneered rock n roll were not given the same platform to cross over. White folks wanted it to be a white made genre which is why most of the white engineers, musicians and songwriters got most of their songs and ideas from African American musicians. They took it, gave it to popular white artists e.g. Elvis and just watered it down for white audiences.

Call it what you want but Rock in Roll originally was created by black musicians and artists. Most of the older white rock in roll bands and artists have SAID this themselves. They know that most of what they were doing was already being done underground by black people. Elvis has openly and publicly said he admired and copied a lot of these African American artists so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote