Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs about Tonight
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Songs about Tonight

I guess a lyricist needs all the help he can get, and when someone realized that Moon and June rhyme, it was just too useful to resist - at least it was until it became a laughable cliché.

Another lyricist´s friend is the word Tonight. It´s easy to find a rhyme for it, and if you use it in a song, it has this great advantage: your song will forever be about now or the near future. It´s always going to sound relevant and immediate; Much better to sing, "When I see you tonight...." than "When I see you on Monday November the Second ... "

Songwriters have exploited this happy property of Tonight for many years.Without doing any research, these are the ones that come to mind:-
Tonight from West Side Story
Tonight´s The Night by Neil Young
Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

But it wasn´t until the banal and repetitive, "Tonight´s gonna be a good, good night" that I finally overdosed on the word and wanted it to be consigned to the scrapheap along with moon and June.

Does anyone else want to comment on the great or ghastly songs built around this word ?