Music Banter - View Single Post - Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #336 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
John Lennon also said "If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." Other John Lennon fun facts: he is the first man to wear a fur coat, he once slain a fire-breathing dragon, he counted to infinity... twice even, and invented slice bread.

Elvis was more than just a "white man who was able to sing like a black one." He also sang country standards too - check out the non-R&B numbers like Just Because, Blue Moon and Blue Moon of Kentucky on his debut album. Beside R&B artist he was influence by the crooners that came before him and later in life he became a fan of opera and was always trying to improve his vocals. Either you are a Beatles fan or an Elvis fan. Most Beatle fans don't like Elvis, or even the Rolling Stones, either they don't like them or don't give them credit.
This. As I said, it's as much country influence (if not more, musically) as blues influence on early rock numbers. Everyone I've met who says "blacks pioneered rock" has absolutely zero knowledge of white music before the 1950s. I'm not just saying it because of the argument I just had here, this is a very common opinion it seems. Maybe there was a documentary about this issue or something.

Maybe we need a "Rock before rock" thread with stuff like this:

Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote