Music Banter - View Single Post - Buying my first workstation, help...
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

The Blue Yeti is a decent microphone but you're very limited when you want to do other things. Its more of a broadcasters mic, where they won't need absolute fidelity, but do need much better than a headset mic.

If you're going to go with a nice microphone, go for one that uses an interface and buy a seperate mic. A good recommendation is the Rode NT1A, which you should be able to find bundled in with a decent interface basically anywhere.

If budget is more of a concern, go to your local music store and ask for a basic large diaphragm condenser microphone, and a compatible USB interface - that will allow you to upgrade the mic later without having to buy an interface at the same time, and will also allow you to use many different microphones as you get more gear or if you borrow any, to get the best recordings.

That said - 90% of any recording is in the performance - if you play perfectly, you will sound good even on a Fisher Price tape deck. if you play badly, all the gear in Abbey Road won't help you.

The remaining 10% of the recording is 9% technique and 1% gear - Unless you're dealing with truly, truly shocking equipment, the way you place the mic, breath control, whether you have a pop filter correctly placed, etc, will all make much more difference than having a better microphone or a higher quality interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote