Music Banter - View Single Post - The 4th Wave of Emo Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Big Dog

Default The 4th Wave of Emo Thread

I don't think I'm alone when I say the emo/hardcore thread is a bit of a wasteland.
It's rarely visited and when it is it's usually by a new member who wants to inquire as to what is and isn't emo, I would know I think I probably came in with the very same question.

It's also clear to me that there are many people on here with an active interest in emo/post hardcore/screamo and pop punk
(I'm lumping them all together as they all don't get the love they should here)
and in order to discuss these genres, I know I look to other websites. Perhaps some of the other users do too.

That doesn't need to be the case. Why should I have to crawl off to Sputnikmusic to speak about certain albums. I'm a Music Banter user. I want to be able to talk about it here.

I propose a revitalisation of the Emo/Hardcore sub-forum. I propose that we are the fourth wave of emo. Obviously, we're not going to start a Music Banter super group but why don't we give a revamp to that particular area.
We don't just have to wank over the same three or four quintessential Kinsella albums either, we can look at classic albums, modern albums, pop punk albums, modern hardcore, etc, etc.

As many bands of this nature are pretty small time and have limited discographies it should be a good introduction to new music for some of us, a way to revisit records we haven't heard for others and an introduction to a new concept/scene/genre for those who want to get into emo.

I propose we do a fortnightly album club. We choose an album. One album. You have 14 days to listen to it. We share our thoughts. Simple. We're a website full of apparent music lovers so one album, every 14 days shouldn't be arduous work. Nobody is that busy that they can't listen to an album every 14 days.

Aside from that every alternating week (where there is no new album) we have a playlist competition. Between 4 to 10 tracks fitting a specific theme, which I will give out every second week. I will then judge the winner. I am obviously exempt from winning myself, but will contribute a playlist anyway. This'll again give us all the chance to listen to a variety of new bands and music. I don't have much to offer as incentive for the winner other than whoever wins can decide what I use as my user title and avatar (sorry Mods)
I will then keep that user title and avatar for two weeks. Make it whatever you want.

This should hopefully highlight new artists, new music and give the sub forum the kick up the ass it needs. New members and existing users who want to get into the genre are more than welcome as are those who already have a vested interest.

Not welcome are those who are just going to post pointless gifs, stir up drama and distract the conversation from the music. If you want to do that, stay in The Lounge.

I'm posting this here first to gauge interest. If enough people share my feelings, then we'll get this thing started. I don't have University on Friday's so that'll be the new album/playlist day.

Thoughts?
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote