Music Banter - View Single Post - Landmarks....
Thread: Landmarks....
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #85 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Washington, Seattle, Toronto, Dublin - authorities just love to build a needle for their city ! The best thing about this one, built by an atheistic totalitarian regime in East Berlin is that the locals immediately christened it "The Pope´s Revenge" because sunlight on the globe forms the image of a cross, shining over the entire city and mocking the government...

Spoiler for pic too big:

Like Exo in NY, in London you can´t help but become blasé about the landmarks. These days I´m in a town with more modest aspirations and although I can´t compete with Paul Smeenus and the fabulous view from his balcony, Burning Down reminds us with her pic of an elevated road, that a landmark doesn´t have to be a tourist "must see".

Strictly speaking, a landmark is just a point of reference and in the town I´m in now we refer to places like The Fireman´s Traffic Lights and, rather baffling for newcomers, The Roundabout Where The Disco Used To Be . Also well known is The House Of The 500. This is a pretty extravagant house comissioned by a prostitute who was so sought after that she was able to charge 500 pesos for her services - a price so high that it has become immortalized while her actual name has been forgotten !

EDIT: At last some pics of Antarctica, Vanilla! Thank you. That Mount Erebus looks like you could stroll up there in one day, but according to the book I recently finished, it took poor old Shackleton seven days to reach the summit crater. Were you travelling around on snow-mobiles and sledges when you were there?

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 01-09-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote