Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #185 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Following Up On Metal Massacre II

Armored Saint - March of the Saints - 1984

Yeah, I know who they are and I've listened to them, but I've always been meaning to listen to more Armored Saint and this is a good opportunity. Man, I've been missing out too. Two songs in and I'm in love. There's a touch of speed metal to these guys, but at heart this is a hard rock/trad metal band. Melodic yet truly badass, driving metal riffs collide with John Bush's unmistakable vocals and semen is released into one's undershorts. **** yeah Armored Saint! It's amazing that they come right out of the starting gate with sound fully formed and capable of some honest songcraft. These guys totally deserved to rule the airwaves in the eighties.

Spoiler for Armored Saint - March of the Saints:

3rd Stage Alert - 3rd Stage Alert EP - 1984

I'll be completely honest. I loved their song on the comp, and was totally for these dudes. Then I found out that Yngwie Malmsteen produced their only EP and I started to root against them just a bit. **** that boring turd. Alright they're still pretty sweet, but they've changed a bit. They had a serious Rainbow thing going on, with fantasy lyrics and a power metal vibe (even if the music was more heavy than power metal). Now they have a more prog rock feel to them. It's taken some of that great atmosphere out, and now it has more of an eighties feel that's slightly disappointing. If I find out the Malmsteen had anything to do with this that's one more reason to kill him. Still, this is pretty good. Just not amazing. Maybe Trollheart needs these guys in his life. Damn it these guys are growing on me. I still prefer the Metal Massacre song, but this is quite dig-worthy.

Spoiler for 3rd Stage Alert:

Savage Grace - The Dominatress EP - 1983

Alright, first thing's first. "The Dominatress"? Hahahahahahahaha! You're ****ing kidding me, right? God damn it, eighties metal, sometimes you make it really hard to defend you. I'm not gonna lie though, I gave that cover the eye. Good thing the music kicks the proper amount of ass. Their song on the comp was definitely cool, but they seem to have upped the ante in the song-writing department. This is some quality heavy/speed metal. For whatever reason though they decided to make half the songs on here high energy, early power metal and the other half mid-tempo rockers. But except for the dull "Curse the Night" it's not really a problem. A little bit of searching on the Metal Archives reveals that the guy behind Omen was in the band at the time, and is likely responsible for the faster side of their sound, though he would leave after this. I have been assured that they became heavier after this, so now I'm curious.

Spoiler for Savage Grace - The Dominatress:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote