Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Desert call --- Myrath -- Recommended by Ki

This was recommended to me by Ki about a year or more ago, but I never got around to listening to it. When he featured it in his journal I thought I may as well have a shot at it. When it started I was impressed/dismayed to find it was not in English, but I thought that at least makes it different, and they are from Tunisia! However shortly after the opening "chant" or whatever it became English, so the "mystery", as it were, was lost.

Sadly, from that point on it was strictly a case of meh for me. I listened, expecting to hear what Ki had heard, how this had impressed him, but I failed. It's not, again, that it's a bad album, but to me it's just ok. I don't really like the singer: I find him a little lost in the mix most of the time, and the music is pretty generic prog metal. It's good, but that's about it.

Halfway through the album and I still couldn't honestly point to anything I would remember later. The ballad "Memories" was a nice change, and I liked "No turning back", then the closer was a bit of all right again. But nothing I would go mad over.

In the end, very very generic despite the little eastern tinge in their music. I respect Ki immensely and would never laugh at his choice or say he was wrong. If he loves this album he's obviously hearing something I can't. But for my money, Orphaned Land do this a thousand times better. Not one I'll be coming back to, I'm afraid.

Rec Rating: A low 5. Sorry Ki.