Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It's not that it's not a good album; it certainly is. But is it any better than, say, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Dreamfire, or even Caves of Glass's debut which I reviewed last year? Hell, even solo instrumentalist Illusive Mind's "Alternating scenes" can claim to be as good as this. And again, I'm not putting the album down, but I just don't see where the one who munches small insects is getting all this enthusiasm for it. But of course, taste is relative and personal. I like it, but I don't love it. Well maybe I do love it. But I don't think it's any better than a dozen instrumental albums I've heard this year.
Ah...did I seem overly enthusiastic in my review? As with anything, the level of immediacy an album has will vary between listeners methinks. This is especially true of instrumental stuff, because we are all drawn to different aesthetics and patterns. Something that appeals immediately to me may take you 20 listens to see where I'm coming from, and vice versa.

Nice review in any case. I think I have a more emotional connection with Found because its the third album in a trilogy that David Helpling & Jon Jenkins started back in 2006. So, in that regard, my enthusiasm from it stems partly because these two guys have a fairly unique sound when they're working together (they both do work in television & film music, but have different approaches) and partly because I'm glad they've completed the cycle of music they started together after nearly a decade of writing and collaboration.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 01-12-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote