Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #1264 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

There isn't really a way for either of you to prove the truth in what you believe in this particular argument (the gender pay gap). There doesn't really seem a way to conclusively prove this with stats.

I've read stats on the pay gap. The size of the gap differs greatly in each source, and there are some sources I have read that claim it doesn't exist at all.

Personally I'm tempted to believe that overall men do make more money than women. In this country anyway. I'm not touching the US because I wouldn't know what I was talking about. However I do think that, logically, it would be very easy to use stats to make a bigger issue of it than it actually is or to mislead.

I've read stats that have been shown NOT to include periods of maternity pay or part-time workers but rather use the number of men and women in full time employment and then the total of earnings for the year. This is obviously going to be extremely misleading and not even begin to give an accurate portrayal. What it definitely doesn't prove is that women are at a disadvantage when it comes to the opportunities available for employment in comparison to men.

I'd personally be more interested in how many women hold the higher and most high-earning positions in society, rather than a supposed bias in filling the vast majority of vacancies in normal, everyday society, because, at least here in the UK, I really don't see an issue with the latter.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote