Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #10168 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post
I really enjoyed that album, thanks for posting.
I'm glad you like it, it's become one of my favourites of 2012. Have you heard any other of Haino's work?

Frank Zappa - Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger

Edgard Varese was briefly resurrected in 1984 to help Frank Zappa write this album, or at least that's what it sounds like because it's very dramatic, atonal, and has interesting use of instruments. This is not the Frank Zappa that warns of the dangers of yellow snow or the thing-fish, this is his later work with a focus on classical. Pierre Boulez conducts this album, which gives it more of the Varese tinge as he's the conductor on many of the more popular recorded Edgard Varese albums. It has the usual jumpy playfulness that Zappa usually provides, but is atonal rather than his usual modality. The orchestra performs the pieces with the impeccability of any Zappa troupe, as one can expect. Sort of kicking myself for not giving this album more heed, since it's becoming one of my favourites of his (still overshadowed by One Size Fits All, Hot Rats, Apostrophe, and Freak Out!, among others). Fans of classical music and fans of Zappa (the two are definitely not mutually exclusive) will appreciate this record. Give it a listen

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote