Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Well, this one wasn't a direct recommendation, but since Trollheart gave it such a good review I thought I'd check it out and then give my own impressions.

Hypothetical --- Threshold -- Recommended by Trollheart

In all honesty, even as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the first few Threshold albums and then 2012's March Of Progress, I've never really taken the time to get into the albums they did with vocalist "Mac" McDermott. I had heard songs from albums like Clone from 1998 and Dead Reckoning from 2007 but wasn't really drawn in by the material.

Much to my surprise, 2001's Hypothetical seems to be the album I really needed to hear from the "Mac" lineup. Even after only a few run throughs I'm convinced this is one of the best progressive metal albums of the last twenty years or so. All of the songs are interesting and don't overstay their welcome with needless noodling, especially opening cut 'Light And Space' and the moody but fantastically constructed 'The Ravages Of Time'. Despite being constructed to where each song sort of leads into the next one, no two songs are in the same key or built too similarly. In particular, I love the keyboard runs from Richard West throughout: he does just enough to embellish the songs with atmosphere without going into tedious Keith Emerson levels of wankery.

In any case, I think I may actually like this one overall more than March Of Progress, and that particular release was a prog-metal monster of pure awesome. I'm always a big advocate of albums in this genre that put the songs before everything else, and that makes it easy for a new listener to jump right in too. A pleasant discovery to be sure, so thanks for bringing it to my attention TH!

Rec Rating: 9/10

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote