Music Banter - View Single Post - The "get [insert forum member here] into [insert genre or subgenre here]" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
OK, I can definitely see that in "Step right up" (which I love by the way) --- that big upright bass, the odd drumming, and I'm sure you're right. Maybe it's --- I don't know, maybe it's instrumental jazz I don't get? But no, I bloody hate Mel Torme too so it can't be that. Without question I'd never say I hate all jazz because what do I know of it, but anything I've heard I have not liked. I may just be destined never to like it or understand it.
See! You like at least one jazz song.

You probably hate Mel Torme because he's kind of boring. So forget about him as a good example of vocal jazz. What do you think of someone like Louis Armstrong, who was pretty clearly a direct influence on Tom Waits' vocal style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
To be honest, I had originally intended this year's "Stranger in a strange land" to focus on jazz, but it's such a huge and old genre I really don't know if I'd be taking on too much. Might be a way to face my fears, as it were, perhaps. Or maybe I'll just go with plan B and hide in this dark corner with Marillion blasting on my headphones?
I would love to see you do that (the reviewing jazz part, not the sitting in the corner listening to Marillion part). If you ever decide to do it, let me know if you want some recommendations.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote