Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #26405 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I have several comments about this. First, remember that small local papers are in the business of making advertisement money, and generally the entertainment sections go unread. They are filler for the most part, just there so that the papers can fill up space and pretend to be focused on the local community. Second, that doesn't matter because a tiny section of the readers will actually care about what you write, and even small things like those makes your writing important and may get you noticed in your area (NY metro) where everybody and their grandmother wants to be noticed. The point is that you would be noticed by major publications (although if you're writing about film be prepared to be ignored or, if you're lucky, shit upon by all the journalists) so you'll be under pressure to distinguish your voice and perfect your writing. That's a good thing. Third, being published anywhere -especially in print- feels awesome and so I wish you the best of luck getting your foot in the door.
Honestly, I just want to get my foot in the door and have a portfolio consisting of things that were actually published. I could care less what people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Donner View Post
You'll do great. Do you know which review(s) you'll be submitting?
Probably the Her review or Inside Llewyn Davis. I'm going to be editing the **** out of them to make sure they're perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
From my point of view of somebody who doesn't write all too well, you'll do just fine. You have a fantastic grasp on the English language and you know how to convey your thoughts effectively through multiple paragraphs. Nothing to be nervous about, you should be excited if anything because you're going to be able to present yourself through writing and be paid for it.
Thanks a lot. That made me feel good. I don't have high hopes of them actually hiring me but it couldn't hurt to inquire and show them my stuff. I actually told the editor I didn't expect to be paid right away and he said if we hire you then I didn't have anything to worry about cause they'll pay me. Being paid to write is what I've always wanted so if they hire me I'm going to lose my ****.

We'll see what happens.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote