Music Banter - View Single Post - Where do you think the next big breakthrough in music will happen?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Are you talking about innovation in musical genres or the next groundbreaking musical act?

I say no to both. There is not going to be any innovation any time soon the way the mainstream music industry has been going over the last 15 years.

The music industry of today is a business. It doesnt care about quality music, talent, innovation etc. It just cares about making as much money as possible. Its always been a business but nowadays you dont really need talent or a quality record to be a superstar. The industry is geared toward marketing and promotion and the public doesn't have much input on how successful a song becomes like they once did.

At this point, I am more concerned about the quality of music and talent versus innovation because everything has already been done already. Todays artists are just repeating sounds and music that has already been done (not that that is necessarily a bad thing either).

I like to see the industry give more creative artists a platform to shine instead of the corporate puppets. Thats why it seems the industry is so small because they constantly shove the same boring artists down our ears. If they marketed someone like Jack White and gave him a platform I'm sure he would be more popular. His music might would start a trend for other artists. I liked to see him and Janelle Monae become bigger acts because I think they have it in them to do something original and they just make creative music which industry needs right now.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote