Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite movies of all time
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #341 (permalink)
Cosmology
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I guess I like to view him as an auteur rather than a regular director with range, tbh. I like the Kill Bill series because of how it makes fun of itself and the genre. I wouldn't say that Jackie Brown is better, but if I had a choice on whether to watch either of the Kill Bill films or Jackie Brown, I'd pick the latter. This is mostly because of content and that I don't like cheese so much in my film. What do you think of Tarantino's other work?
I'm definitely a fan, but I think he's had a few misfires. I suppose it's inevitable with any director. I thought the Kill Bill films were a real mess, made more for his own enjoyment rather than the audience. Death Proof didn't really do anything for me either, but when he's good, he's excellent. He's carved his own niche and I respect that.

I think basically his films divide into two categories. You've got the more focused, plot driven stuff like Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds, then there's the more gimmicky (but equally good in their own way) 'cool' movies like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. True Romance is one of my favourites - I think it gets the balance just right between the two styles - and From Dusk Till Dawn (which he didn't direct, but he wrote the screenplay, so I still think of it as a Tarantino movie.)

Last edited by Cosmology; 01-19-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Cosmology is offline   Reply With Quote