Music Banter - View Single Post - The three phases of Tristania
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honza
Groupie

Default The three phases of Tristania

Tristania are in a class of their own when it comes to symphonic metal or gothic rock or whatever category of music they are in. They are slower tempo, have catchier hooks and the best vocals IMO.

There are three distinct phases to Tristania's history. The first belongs to the first two albums; Widows Weeds and Beyond The Veil when the founding member Morten Veland was still in the band. The music was heavy, the vocals were growls and the female vocals took second place.

The second phase happened once Morten left to start Sirenia. Suddenly Vibeke took centre stage and her exquisite vocals came first. There were more clean male vocals and less growls. The music stopped being so metal and starting creating more melodic riffs and hooks IMO. The three albums produced at this time; World Of Glass, Ashes and Illumination are my favourite of them all.

The third stage happened when Vibeke suddenly left to become a teacher and concentrate on her family. Tristania was joined by a Sardinian female singer called Mariangela Demurtas. They produced two albums called Rubicon and Darkest White. I'm not a fan of Mariangela's voice so I have not bought the latest two albums.

My question is how would you rate Tristania compared to the other symphonic/gothic metal bands? And which of the three phases is your favourite?
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote