Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Albums I have never heard
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #207 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Glad you got around to listening to it, TH. I share the same feelings on the album in that it's great, but definitely not their best. When you say that you don't like 70s Yes, does that mean you've not heard Fragile, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and Relayer?
TBH I have not heard any Yes 70s albums at all. I've seen them live (on TV) and was bored to tears. Of course that could stem from the fact I knew none of the material. But it just seemed to ramble on forever and I didn't like it. I may try some other albums --- oh wait, I have heard Drama --- no that's 80s isn't it? --- but for me the whole 80s/90s Yes was where I came to love their music, along with the totally underrated ABWH album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Strange, I totally avoid “Big generator”, “Union”, “90125”, on purpose. 90125 grates my nerves to no end. Close to the Edge is an absolute classic. It's better than most of the 70s albums like The Wall, Quadropenia, maybe ties with Selling England by the Pound, better that Aqua Lung and and ever other hard Rock or Prog albums. Albums of 1972 CttC is better than Honky Château, Can't Buy a Thrill, Chicago V, and Obscured by Clouds. I think albums like Ziggy Stardust, and Exile on Main St. are objective just as great, I don't know how that Rolling Stone rag would rank them. Harvest, Foxtrot, near equal. Wow a year! You probably could have a whole journal dedicated to 1972!
It's all relative as I say. I'm one of those who much prefers "Trespass", "Wind and wuthering" and even "Nursery cryme" to "Selling England." It's not my least favourite Genesis album but it's definitely not my favourite. That said, it's a great album. I just think I was disappointed, after the fanfare put up about "Close to the edge", that I expected to be totally smacked upside the head and I wasn't. It was a good, even a great Yes album but I'd still rather listen to "Big Generator", "Union" or "90125", maybe even "ABWH". It's just how I feel.