Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Innovative Artist of the 20th Century
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I definitely don't tend to branch out into whatever you mean by "stride, ragtime, mento, calypso, zydeco" and I never plan to.
Those are all genres of music. If you haven't even heard of them, why would you deliberately choose to never even give them a chance?

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard anything pre-1960's besides jazz or classical obviously that I found worth listening to at all. The notable music of that time is all quite bland to me. Of course, there are occasional songs that I find powerful (Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit is really incredible I think!), but I see the Beatles' arrival as when music finally started to branch out, and I don't even like the Beatles that much, I'm just seeing the correlation there.
Considering that jazz and classical encompass a very large percentage of "the notable music of that time" I think maybe you like more from back then than you think you do.

Quote:
The Beatles imitated music of that time period initially, but later Beatles stuff absolutely created dozens of genres. There were so many important things that the Beatles did that no one had really done before. I mean that's just a fact.
No, not as much initially. Initially they were really only imitating people like Chuck Berry. Later in their career is when they starting mining a variety of pre-rock music.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote