Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #374 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
It's not the abuse that's misogynistic, it is the lack of coverage that female athletes get compared to men and how little sponsorship they get.

It's because women's sport is not as good.

Women's football already receives far, far too much attention for the level of quality on show, it is pushed ridiculously over here, I have played to a decent amateur level and played against a girl who plays for Coventry Ladies (a professional team in the 2nd tier of English football which is very high up) and I'm better than her. Not even joking. The Sunday League team I trained with had players who had been in the academy at Villa, most Sunday League teams would deal with a professional woman's team with ease. This is just one example.

The coverage might have something to do with the fact that female athletes would lose in a head to head with their male counterparts, similar to how heavyweight boxing generates the most public interest based on the fact the bigger guys would beat the smaller guys in head to head fights.

Not even hating, Sian Massey - best official in the Premier League. Jess Ennis - deserves her coverage.

Quote:
Of course it is silly to you because you aren't losing out on money as a athlete and you aren't a woman so go ahead and laugh it off.
Can you provide some evidence that female athletes lose out on money because they are female?

What about female tennis players who are paid equally to the male athletes despite playing two sets less at Wimbledon?

Source: Wimbledon 2012: Controversy mounts in dispute over women's pay | Sport | theguardian.com

Quote:
Wimbledon began offering equal prize money in 2007 after a unanimous vote in favour of the proposal by the championship committee. The disparity was previously justified by the fact that men play best-of-five-set matches in grand slams while women play best-of-three.
Quote:
"I don't really have much of an opinion on it. Whatever it is, it is, I guess. I think it is tough for the guys, especially at Wimbledon because it's five sets.
Heather Watson with that real spit.

Quote:
What followed was the perfect display of the misogyny, aggression and imbalanced treatment faced by sportswomen in every discipline.
Every athlete gets abused in these Q&A's, how is that unbalanced m8?
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote