Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The bones of what you believe --- Chvrches --- Recommended by DJ Chameleon and YorkeDaddy

I saw how YorkeDaddy enthused over this album and I have a lot of respect for his music taste, so decided to give it a go. Then I realised I really owe the rec to the chameleonic lifeform, as it was he who reviewed it much earlier in his journal as one of his "Razor's Edge" postings. Going on what I read there, and here, I assumed this would be a really great album. But I was mistaken. It is not a good album at all.

It is an effing EXCELLENT album!!!

I'm not one for pop per se --- I don't tend to listen to much of it and generally lump most/all pop in as "chart rubbish", but I may have to start thinking about changing my attitude if even some of the pop albums are this good. Mind you, I thought I was off to a bad start with the sort of sampled voice opening, but then the beat kicked in and I just fell instantly in love. YD is right: Lauren's voice is sexy and beautiful, kind of like Hazel from Lanterns on the Lake in a way, but that's only part of it. The jumping guitar work, the smooth and boppy synths, and the whole feel of the album is just upbeat and fun, something which probably belies the lyrics, many of which seem to speak of breakups and pressures.

Making potentially sad or angry songs cheerful is quite a talent, and while I don't mean in any way to denigrate any personal experiences Chvrches (how do you pronounce that anyway? Ch-veer-ches? Oh no wait: the Gods of Wiki tell me it's pronounced "churches", but they changed the u to a v in order to thwart Google searches bringing their fans to pages about actual churches. Nice one! Using the head, unlike the UnGoogleable band 3!) put into this album, it's hard not to tap your fingers and bop your head to songs, even if they're about breakups and jealousy and rage and revenge.

Standout tracks? Hard to say really, as I don't think there's a bad one here. Even when there's a male voice singing --- I assume that's one of the other band members though it doesn't say --- there's no sense of disappointment, though I do prefer Lauren's voice. My only real gripe is that this band have the bad taste to only have one album so far, as if they had a discography stretching back a few years I'd be seriously hammering my balance at my local album vendor! Oh well, maybe next year there'll be another?

One thing is for sure, Chvrches are here to stay!

Rec rating: A solid 9.5/10. Pure gold.