Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you talk to people about music IRL?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trillian
Groupie

Default Do you talk to people about music IRL?

I frequently run into this situation where someone will mention a band that they like and I'll be like "oh yeah, I like them too! Your should also check out ____, they sound kinda similar." And then from that point onward all my musical interactions with this specific person are based on the assumption that I'm an aficionado of like... 80's underground music or something, I don't know. And they think that whatever genre we've discussed is the only genre I listen to, like the time my Nana found out I had gotten a cat and only bought me cat-themed presents (including a calendar) for Christmas. Then we run into a situation where they go through my phone or something and see my music and they're like "oh wow I didn't realize you were that into music. Can I listen to it?" so I'll put it on random or something and Sigur Ros will come on and the reply is invariably "this song doesn't have words... weird". It's to the point where I can't even have a conversation with someone about music because the only thing they'll talk about is how the 70s is the best time period ever because CLASSIC RAWK IS THE BEST AND NEW MUSIC SUCKS LOL.

And then I also run into a situation when I'm first meeting someone where they'll be like, "oh, so what kind of music do you listen to" and I realize I have 2 choices.

1. I can say "oh, I like pretty much everything" - sort of true when it comes to genres, but not when it comes to specific bands. If I choose this option I risk sounding like someone who doesn't care about music, which is not someone I want to be.

2. I can actually say what I like and list a bunch of bands/genres. This can work out well and lead to an interesting conversation if the person I'm talking to also has an interest in music. However, I risk sounding like a pretentious ******* or just boring them if they don't like music.

I don't know, I've just stopped trying to talk to people about music. I usually end up being written off as "the hipster" or "the girl who listens to weird music", and honestly, I'd rather be listening to music than having an unfulfilling conversation about music with someone who doesn't really care.

So do y'all talk about music IRL? And how do you handle it when it comes up in conversation?
Trillian is offline   Reply With Quote