Music Banter - View Single Post - No punk today
Thread: No punk today
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #314 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Always felt like Bad Brains, and certain Black Flag albums (Specifically My War and In My Head) had a pretty heavy jazz presence. I agree that it's more of a rock based genre, just noted that whole Bad Brains thing about being a jazz fusion band, and how it obviously influenced Black Flag, who were huge BB fans. Agree that rock is the more dominant influence on hardcore, but one could argue that the "sped up" nature of the songs is a jazz influence, since jazz is pretty much the blues, but sped up. You could even make the argument that since rock was influenced by jazz and blues music, then nearly all punk rock has a jazz influence. I mean, you think about it, jazz was the first type of music to emphasize rhythm back in the 20s and 30s, and a lot of the music we listen to today has that.
I'm pretty sure Greg Ginn (guitarist of black flag) experimented with a lot of jazz modes & scales, and your correct about Bad Brains, they were originally a jazz fusion band.

This complexity in hardcore is pretty much an American phenomenon though. I believe it stems from the residual influence of the beatnik counterculture that was still kicking about in the late 70's.

British bands on the other hand, tend to use more traditional rock scales because they've been more culturally influenced by the sing a long pub culture of the UK.

The best modern example of jazz in hardcore today of course would be Dillinger Escape Plan, but to my great annoyance (I don't like off beat time signatures in rock music) its common place amongst many other American hardcore heavyweights like Converge and the Code Orange Kids ect.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote