Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #292 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die: 26 - 50

Sol Hoopii's Quartet - Hula Girl (1933)
This is Hawaiian hula music (Obviously) and very much of it's time. as I'm not really any sort of expert on either music from the 30s or hula music I'll leave this in because it is rather fun.

Buddy Holly & The Crickets - That`ll Be The Day (1957)
If you were to come to my parents house you will be told in no uncertain terms that Elvis was a nobody and that Buddy Holly was the real king of Rock n Roll. I grew up with this song ringing in my ears.
This one goes in for my Dad who was an original 1950s Teddy boy.

The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows (1966)
I'll put this is because it's obviously a great song and well ahead of it's time, but the Rolling Stones used the siter much better on Paint it Black, so there.

John Lennon - Working Class Hero (1970)
This is difficult because there are two John Lennon songs on the list and I'm sure you can easily guess the other. If I were to put two John Lennon songs on the list it would be this one and Instant Karma.
So I guess this one stays.

The Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So (2000)
I love this song and don't care what anybody thinks. And their bass player was the spitting image of Fat Barry from Eastenders.

Hawkwind - Silver Machine (1972)
Urgh, someone put a shitty live version without Lemmy singing of this up on the torrent rather than the original. You'd think it would be easy to find after all it's only been included on a few thousand rock compilation albums.
No Lemmy = No song.
Screw that, I'm finding the original
AHHHHHHH bliss.

Neil Young - Like a Hurricane (1977)
There are two Neil Young songs on this and neither one of them are Cinnamon Girl or The Needle And The Damage Done. This song isn't bad but at over 8 minutes long it does get a little tedious after a while.
I know it's a classic, it's just not classic enough for my list.
(Alternate Choice: Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl)

Iggy Pop - The Passenger (1977)
It would be pretty difficult to exclude this even though I could probably name at least another 10 Iggy songs I would like to use only Lust For Life would come close but that's also on the list so this stays.

Fanfare Ciocărlia - Iag Bari (1999)
Aparently this is a Romanian gypsy band who's gigs can last up to 30 hours. Thankfully this song is only 4 and a half minutes long. I'll leave this as an open space to be filled at the end.

Blue Oyster Cult - (Dont Fear) The Reaper (1976)
This is a band I've never really paid that much attention to so I have no idea if they have any better songs than this or not. I'm including this on the basis that if I know how well known this song is and know nothing of the band then so do a lot of other people. Last FM backs this up as this song is their most listened to song beating the 2nd placed song by a 4 : 1 ratio.

Yes - Wonderous Stories (1977)
I've never even heard Yes fans talk about this song and hearing it now I now know why, it's fucking awful.
Apparently this was a top 10 hit for the band, Christ knows why. There's no 80s King Crimson on this list so this song gets booted.
(Alternate Choice: King Crimson - Elephant Talk)

Split Enz - I Got You (1980)
Credit where credit is due this is a really catchy song but I can think of 1000 songs just from this era alone which should be on here instead of this.
(Alternate Choice: XTC - Senses Working Overtime)

Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. (1994)
Enter the Wu-Tang is an album that has a very special place in my heart as it was the soundtrack to my first ever trip to Amsterdam. This is a nailed in choice.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'n Roll (1982)
I'm not going to pretend to be a huge Joan Jett fan, in fact this is the only song I've heard by her. You can't help but like the woman, she's been doing this stuff for something like 40 years already and is still at it. I did find out that Steve Jones & Paul Cook from the Sex Pistols played on the original recording of this from 1979. I want to hear that version now.

The Breeders - Cannonball (1994)
Last Splash was one of my favourite albums of the 90s. It's a miracle the CD still even plays.
It's Kim Deal, what do you want me to do here?

The Waterboys - The Whole of the Moon (1985)
A song that I may have liked for an incredibly short amount time when it came out that I just began to resent the more I heard it. I'll replace this with something totally different.
(Alternate Choice: Hanoi Rocks - Don't Ever Leave Me)

Mos Def - Ms. Fat Booty (1999)
I don't remember this as such but it's ringing a bell somewhere in the depths of my brain. Sadly my favourite hip hop tune from 1999 hasn't been included on here so this is going to get bumped off.
(Alternate Choice: Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard)

The Very Best - Rain Dance (Feat. M.I.A.) (2009)
Any hope of me ever liking this song evaporated the moment M.I.A. showed up. Surely I can find something better than this from around this time. I'll add this at the end

Jane's Addiction - Three Days (1989)
It's hard to imagine just how much Jane's Addiction blew my mind when I first saw them sometime around 87/88, much more than Nirvana ever did. Those first 3 albums they made before they originally broke up the first time may have come from space they were so different. Three days is the jewel in the crown of the Ritual de lo Habitual album. I'll ignore what they became and just enjoy this 10 minutes of bliss.

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (1991)
The problem I find with a lot of dance music is that I find it dates really badly. Recently I was listening to some beat beat stuff from 10 to 15 years ago and was struck by just how old hat it sounded. This song came out almost 23 years ago to the day and was so way ahead of it's time it still sounds as fresh as a daisy today.

Big Joe Turner - Shake, Rattle & Roll (1954)

Hmmm, do I go with the original or do I go by the cover recorded by a fat middle aged bloke with bad quiff.
I think i'll stick with this.

John Denver - Rocky Mountain High (1972)
During the whole mid 80s censorship in music thing, along with some of the people speaking out over the issue with Frank Zappa, Dee Snider & Jello Biafra was John Denver. I guess out of all those people Denver would be the person with the most to lose having the more conservative fan base. In fact Jello Biafra says in one of his spoken word albums that Denver lost his record deal for speaking out. Just for that I have to include the man.

Justice - D.A.N.C.E. (2007)
I'm pretty sure that there are several thousand remixes of this song. In fact I'd be very surprised if one person has heard the same version more than once. Gets in due to sheer volume.

Tom Waits - (Looking For) The Heart Of Saturday Night (1974)
I don't really like this very much, he sounds too normal. If I want to listen to a Tom Waits song I want him sounding like a drunk bullfrog. As a song though it's ok and I can't really think of anything to replace it.

The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone (1972)
I was just thinking that clocking it at just under 7 minutes this was rather long for a single, only to discover the album version is 12 minutes long. I was considering putting in the original version of this song by The Undisputed Truth in but I think the 12 minute version should get the nod instead.

So we're now up to 47 songs on the list and 3 free spots.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote