Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #14182 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

I just learned that one of my former university professors who was also my private flute instructor, was let go from his job last night with no prior warning, after over 20 years at the school. Due to budget cuts, apparently. There are professors there who are less worthy of their positions who could have been laid off, and this really upsets me. I've been involved in the flute choir at the university, and he is the director so I'm not sure if that's going to continue, or if we're getting a new director halfway through the year (and our concert is on March 18th!!)

He's helped me in so many ways that go beyond academics, and has done the same with all of his students. It's all about personal attention for him, even with 100 students. They've not only lost a great professor, but also a great mentor and personal coach for students.

Sigh.

EDIT: Just found out that another former professor of mine has been let go. Another amazing teacher and person, and her husband is also unemployed at the moment - he worked at the affiliated community college but lost his job 6 months ago. I can't believe this school. Both of these professors teach private lessons there as well, and a year of those lessons for each student is $2,000 on top of the base tuition. WHERE THE FUCK DOES THAT MONEY GO???
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote