Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pop of Today Vs Pop Of Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #132 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Fleet Floxes at 2 minutes sounds like America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLizardx View Post
There's plenty of great pop music today, it's just not always in the top 40. However, since the internet makes finding awesome artists more accessible than ever before [and since home-recording is more accessible than ever before] I would argue that there is probably MORE great pop music out there than in say, the 60s or 70s. You just have to dig a little to find it - but please, it's pointless listening to say, One Direction and claiming that music has regressed. There has been **** music from every decade - what about stuff like the Osmonds or the Bay City Rollers?

Here are some fantastic modern pop songs:

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks - YouTube
Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube
Shiny Toy Guns "Le Disko" - YouTube
Bastille - Laura Palmer - YouTube[/url]

I could go on, but you take my point.
I don't think those examples are so fantastic - no offense. That one Goyte song is just plan annoying. I think the style singing Of Monsters and Men use is just plain horrible - I can't listen to it. It's just certain things in music get overdone till ad nauseam. That's not a "now versus then" thing.

What has happen to post-Whitney R&B, Blues, Bluegrass etc has quite often happen to indie folk, the singing sounds derivative and pretentious. It doesn't mean I don't like those genres, I'm just a very finicky listener. I would rather someone who others would not be considered to have a strong voice to sing in their own natural way than for them to try to sound like someone else, whether they are expected to because it's the new standard or told to sing that way have a hit.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 02-02-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote