Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pop of Today Vs Pop Of Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 AM   #138 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
I think FF's music sounds more like CSN but their vocals and harmonies are a bit more like America. America is/was less folk-y than CSN.
America started with a folk-y harmonies and used mainly acoustic folk guitars with plenty of Jazzy chords. America started folk-y (plus other music styles) shifted direction and became more Rock than Folk. CSN added Neil Young to the mix. I thought they came from a very similar place and they both evolved - not judging one over the other.

CSN could be very Simon and Garfunkelish too - check out "Marrakesh Express." That begs the question does CSN "court" even though they formed after S&G? So America is the little brother of CSN who were little brother of Simon and Garfunkel who were the little brother of the Everly Brothers. If America "doesn't court" isn't saying that siding the opinion that things get worse or don't compare? Even though it's on a micro scale from say from '68 to '70, compared to the macro scale of 1960 to 1980 vs 1990 to 2013.

I don't think one is better over the other even if you factor in who is influenced by who came first doesn't rate a band. I have other criteria than that which is kinda hard to explain. In most cases there is enough personal elements in a band to give them their own individual credit. When you have different bands (even though they formed at different time) at some point they come together regardless of seniority to define an era like Folk Rock etc.

Personally, I infinitely prefer early Folk Rock of the 60's and 70s over the "Unplug" stuff MTV pooped out in the 90s.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote