Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you subscribe to the "grower" school of thought?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I think I do. I almost never (unless I get distracted by burning toast or a knock at the door or aliens invading --- or aliens knocking at the doorto tell me my toast is burning!) listen to an album with half an ear. Especially if it's the first time, I want to know if it's something I'm going to like, so whether or not I'm reviewing it or filing it away for later review, I listen as fully as I can. I want to know like DJ what's good about it, what if anything is great about it and what if anything is bad about it. If it's a band/artiste I've never heard of and I like it I'll then probably go looking for more by them.
I actually prefer my first listen to be "with half an ear" a lot of the time because it gives me a sense of what kind of mood I'll want to be in when I give the album a closer listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
That's true as well, with the oft-quoted-by-me example of Phil Collins' "Face value". But what I think we're saying here is that if you listen to a NEW album (to you) first time and HATE it --- I mean don't see anything good in it at all --- then why push yourself to like it? I know this is not what you're saying but the overall consensus often seems to be "you'll like it if you spin it a few more times." That may be true, but I'd rather go with my formulated opinion made by listening to the album once than try to keep listening to it to make myself eventually like it.
I think maybe the key thing might be that people who will give an album more than one chance are also people who are less likely to hate an album right off the bat.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote