Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #208 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Important note: This episode marks the point where the arc really gets going in earnest, and is so important that not only is it the only episode being posted this time out, but by itself it exceeds the MCL, so I've had to split this one single episode up into two posts. Yeah, it's just that important and pivotal!

Because of the arc beginning, from here, to be more pronounced and obvious from this in, I'm going to be using some new logos, which will depict how arc-centric the episode is, or isn't. Basically, if you see this

the episode has some serious arc material in it and really --- if you're following along or watching for the first time --- you can't afford to miss it. This

indicates there is some arc material in the episode but it's not as important or vital to the storyline and finally an episode carrying this image
is pretty standalone and, though few episodes from here on can be skipped, you will probably feel less lost (though not entirely) if you give this one a miss. These "arc headings" can also be viewed in conjunction with my new rating system, which I'll be applying retrospectively, using the images of Starfuries to indicate how good or bad the episode is.

Basically, five 'Furies is an unmissable, brilliant episode while one 'Fury is a real turd in every way. There will be few if any of these (cough) "Infection" (cough)

Season Two: "The coming of Shadows" (Part Five)

2.9 "The coming of Shadows"

The ailing Centauri emperor is making plans to visit Babylon 5, above the objections of his Prime Minister, and the much more vocal protests of G'Kar, who believes the fact that the man directly responsible for the enslavement of his people is allowed onboard to be an abomination. Sheridan, however, thinks it will raise the profile of the station, show the naysayers and doubters back on Earth that something positive is being done with their tax credits, and also reminds G'Kar that this could be his personal opportunity to speak to the emperor and perhaps negotiate on behalf of his people. The Narn ambassador is not listening though, and leaves, muttering dark veiled threats.

Lord Refa of course has no intention of letting such an opportunity go to waste, and has arranged for Londo to give a speech during an audience with the emperor, in which he will outline the decline of the empire, the need for change, and make some predictions about the economy which Refa and his associates will ensure come true. The net effect will be to make Londo look forward-thinking and inspirational, a man wtih his finger on the pulse, and show the emperor to be weak and out of touch. Londo remarks that after he has delivered his speech he will hardly be flavour of the month at court, but Refa, with a chilling smile, reminds him that the emperor's health is “fragile at best”, and that when he dies then Londo will be very much in favour with the new order. Londo is uneasy, but he has agreed to support Refa and cannot back out now.

G'Kar, too, has a plan for the emperor, supported by his government: to assassinate him. A strange man arrives at the station and lurks around, watching Garibaldi. But it's hard to get the drop on Michael and he arrests the guy, worried that he might be a security risk, given their high-profile visitor. The emperor intends to make an important speech and Garibaldi is not about to let anything happen, not on his watch. However what does happen is totally outside his control, as on the way to the podium the emperor collapses, and has to be moved to medlab. He tells Franklin that he has a very important message, something he was going to reveal in his speech, and as he does not trust any Centauri to relay the message properly he asks the doctor to do so.

Refa is already moving, trying to jockey for position as his rivals make their move. He asks Londo to help him make his powerplay, and Mollari calls on Morden, to have his associates take out the Narn listening post in Quadrant 14, on the border of Centauri space. Franklin goes to see G'Kar, delivering the message that he was asked to. The message is: he is sorry. The emperor has offered an apology to the Narn Regime for all the evils perpetrated upon them, all the lands taken, all the blood spilled. He is taking the first step, and G'Kar is stunned. Londo has another dream of his future, in which he sees himself on the throne, sees the huge hand reachng out of the stars prophesied by Elric the Technomage, sees himself grappling to the death with G'Kar, as he has seen this vision of his death many times before.

Tragically, G'Kar meets Londo and has a drink with him just before he hears of the attack on Quadrant 14. It will be the last friendly action between the two, as hours later he will discover that the old war has been reignited. Garibaldi gives in to the demands of his prisoner to speak to him. The man tells him that he has a message for him. When Garibaldi puts the disc on, he hears the voice of Jeffrey Sinclair! His ex-commander tells his old friend that he has learned that there is a “great darkness” coming, as again Elric said. He tells him that the man who bears the message is a Ranger, an elite force under Sinclair's command. He should trust him. He's placing them at Babylon 5's disposal; they are intelligence gatherers, and will keep him updated on the coming storm. When G'Kar learns of the attack he is incandescent with rage, and goes to kill Mollari but is stopped by Sheridan, who reasons with him that he will need their help in the coming days, and G'Kar must choose between personal revenge and the safety of his people.

On Centauri Prime the old Prime Minister is murdered by agents of Refa's, removing the final obstacle to his plans. Garibaldi goes to Sheridan with the information he has, though he has been ordered, or asked, by Sinclair not to reveal its source. Sheridan knows enough about his security chief now to trust him and take him at his word. In his final moments of life the emperor, hearing from Refa of the attack on Quadrant 14 and the reignition of the ancient war, his plans and dreams torn cruelly from him at the last, whispers to Mollari that they are all damned, and takes his last breath. Sheridan tells Mollari that he intends to ensures the safety and proper treatment of the Narns on Quadrant 14 by sending observers to monitor their treatment, a “threat” which has the effect of forcing Londo to allow the civilian Narns to return to their homeworld instead of being made slaves and put into forced labour camps.

As a result of the attack, Narn not surprisingly declares war on Centauri, and the hope for peace the late emperor cherished is destroyed. The old enemies are at each others' throats once again, but this time the Centauri have powerful, shadowy allies. Before departing the station, Refa tells Mollari that all opposition back home has been crushed, and that the emperor's nephew is to ascend the throne; their puppet, leaving Refa and Londo pulling the strings. Things are about to get a lot nastier at court.

QUOTES
Sheridan: “G'Kar, don't do something we'll both regret.”
G'Kar: “It is too late for that, Captain. Too late by far.”

Londo: “This conversation makes you uncomfortable?”
Vir: “Yes. Yes it does.”
Londo: “Then for once we have something in common.”

G'Kar: “It is a strange feeling to know suddenly that all the decisions in your life have brought you to this place. There is no longer doubt or uncertainty. The future consists of only three probabilities: In the moment that I strike, the emperor and I will both die, or he will die and I will spend my life in prison. Or I will fail to kill him. For the first time in my life, the path is clear.”

Londo: “Go and find Mr Morden and bring him here.”
Vir; “Londo, don't do this!”
Londo: “I have no choice!”
Vir: “Yes you do! I know you don't listen to me but just this once I'm asking, don't do this. There's no turning back once you go down that road!”
Londo: “Do I have to go look for him myself?”
Vir: “No. No, I'll go, and I'll bring him back here. And one day, I'm going to remind you of this conversation. Maybe then you'll understand.”

G'Kar: “I was ready! I had prepared myself, I had made my peace with the universe, I had put all my affairs in order! I had the dagger in my hand! And he has the indecency to start dying on his own! Never in my life have I seen a worse case of timing!”

G'Kar: “The emperor! How is the poor fellow! I was so looking forward to opening ... a dialogue!”

G'Kar: “Mollari! I'm going to get you --- a drink!”

Sinclair: “Stay close to the Vorlon, and watch the shadows: they move when you're not looking.”

Centauri Emperor: “How will this end?”
Kosh: “In fire!”

Refa: “What did he (the emperor) say?”
Londo: “He said, 'Continue: take my people back to the stars'”.
Later, Refa asks in private, “What did he really say?”
Londo: “He said, we are all damned.”
Refa: “Well, it's a small price to pay for immortality.”

Sheridan: “I should mention that I've just received permission from my government to send observers to the colony. Their job will be to monitor the treatment of the civilian population.”
Londo: “They are not welcome!”
Sheridan: “Well we're sending them anyway! Unless you'd like to try shooting down an Earthforce transport? Personally, I'd advise against it.”

G'Kar: “For a hundred years the Centauri occupied our world, devastated it. We swore we would never let that happen again. This attack on our largest civilian colony has inflicted terrible damage, loss of life. They have crossed a line we cannot allow them to cross. As a result two hours ago my government officially declared war against the Centauri Republic. Our hope for peace is over. We are now at war. “

IMPORTANT PLOT ARC POINTS
War with the Narn
Arc level: Orange turning to Red later
As the Centauri renew their aggression against their old enemy, this will just be the first step on their path back to power, and soon few races or worlds will be able to stand against them. Backed by Mr Morden and his allies, they will go forth across the galaxy and destroy, attack and conquer, as they did in the old days. However Londo must harbour a sneaking suspicion somewhere that he has been played, that he is following the path Morden has laid down for him, and is being led inexorably into a dark and cold abyss, from which there can be no escape.

The significance of the Centauri's war against the Narn will grow as the season develops, and provide a springboard into some of the biggest developments of the next three seasons. You heard the introduction at the beginning of each episode this season: “the year the Great War came upon us all”? It's about to kick off.

Sinclair
Arc Level: Red
We all thought we'd seen the last of the previous commander of Babylon 5 once season one ended, but it would appear we are wrong. What we seen onscreen is not stock footage, used to allow Michael O'Hare a cameo in the show, as many other series might. No. This is a new role for him, and so the story of his being sent to Minbar is not just a clever plot device to explain his disappearance from the show, but will become an integral part of the next two seasons. We will not see Sinclair again for some time, but when we do, it will be momentous.

Coup d'etat
Arc Level: Orange
With the emperor in failing health, he must know that the trip to Babylon 5 could be the last one he may ever make, and indeed so it turns out. But he is anxious – desperate even --- to deliver his message of apology to the Narn, and so he risks the trip, which costs him his life. Not only that, he does not get the chance to make his speech, though he entrusts it to Franklin. Although the doctor passes it along word for word to G'Kar, and the Narn is for a short moment taken aback and full of hope, when the war is restarted Mollari pretends that the emperor has given it his blessing, when in fact he has told him that his people are now damned for what they have done.

The death of the emperor, and the subsequent removal of the Prime Minister, his loyal and dear friend, clears the way for a new man to ascend the throne, the emperor's nephew, who we will meet soon enough. He is to be little more than a figurehead, however you know what they say about leashing mad dogs? Londo's star is certainly on the rise, but growing too is the darkness inside him, the evil that will eventually claim him, and which Vir has tried, and will continue to try, to warn him against. Refa, based on homeworld, believes he is in charge, but must fear Londo's unknown allies who have so easily brought about the victory that resulted in the success of the coup. Londo had better watch his back...

Rangers
We hear the word mentioned only once, but this elite fighting force will become more and more important as the series progresses, and you can certainly be sure we will hear much more of them, as their presence, and then their reputation, spreads out across the galaxy.

Taking sides
This will become a recurring motif as the war goes on, and drags in other worlds and other races, and others have reason to fear the Centauri and their allies. Initially, Sheridan convinces Earth to at least support if not ally with the Narn – this is not Earth's war, but they can help, just as the US helped long before coming into World War II --- but you would have to wonder what the motivation is behind this, from Earthgov's point of view? Clarke has made it clear he has no time for aliens, but perhaps he also fears the power of the resurgent Centauri Republic, and worries that if left unchecked they could become a threat to Earth. So for now he agrees to go along with the captain's idea of observers, even if only used as a stick to beat Londo with and make him accede to their demands with regards to the Narn civilians, but later he may have second thoughts.

Ascendancy at Court
There’s no doubt that the name of the previously-laughed at and ignored ambassador to Babylon 5 is suddenly being taken seriously again, seriously enough for Refa to have entrusted him with the plans of he and his associates to depose or replace the old emperor, although this may be more along the lines of “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”; Refa knows a little something about the power and influence Mollari wields with allies of which he personally knows nothing, and has seen firsthand what they can do. It would be unwise to go up against such a man, and to make an enemy of him. Had Londo not sided with Refa, you have to wonder if the coup might have gone ahead, given that Mollari and his powerful associates would then perforce be on the other side?

But now, as he makes plans to demonstrate once again his power and the reach of his hand, there can be no doubt that Londo Mollari is becoming an influential, powerful force at court, and people are not only taking notice of him, some even only now realising who he is, that he exists at all, but many may already begin to fear him, to see him as a potential threat, while others will rush to gain his favour and ally themselves to him as if he were the very emperor already. Londo is swept along in this newfound confidence and arrogance, and this will only get worse when he visits the court itself. Perhaps he’s already intending to try the throne out for size? He tells Vir he has no desire to be emperor --- “I prefer to work behind the scenes. The rewards are almost as great, and the risk much reduced.” --- but he has seen in his dreams that, whatever his desire, the Royal Centauri throne is in his future.

Last edited by Trollheart; 03-12-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote