Music Banter - View Single Post - I play the piano and sing, but i can't choose between them.?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Anonimous
Groupie

Unhappy I play the piano and sing, but i can't choose between them.?

Hey all.

The title might be a bit confusing, and i don't know if this is the right place to post this kind of a question.

I'm 16 years old and i've been playing the piano for 11, soon 12 years. i have also sung for nearly 9 years, most of that time in a choir, about 2 years of solo singing.

Everyone i know tells me i have a great future as a concert pianist. Last month, i won 1st place and a special prize for "best etude played" in the first big piano competition of my life. I love playing the piano, and i love composing my own pieces for the piano.

My singing teacher says that when i keep practicing, one day i might become a very good tenor, or a high baritone. I love opera, but i also love progressive rock, especially classic rock. (Queen is my most favorite band of all, but i also love Pink Floyd, The Beatles, King Crimson and Genesis. sad that neither of them are no longer here...) I've been writing my own songs and lyrics for almost as long as i've been writing stuff for the piano.

which is why i have always wanted to go to London when i finish my studies when i'm about 26 years old and form a band, where i'd be the lead singer and pianist. But that would mean wasting my talent as a pianist. On the other hand, If i become a concert pianist, i would have no time to sing and that is something i won't let happen. I don't want to give up neither playing the piano nor singing, because i love doing both of them too much. I've talked to so many people already, and everyone has said that if i want to become well-known, i need to concentrate on just one thing. I don't know what to do. please help, maybe give me some ideas
Anonimous is offline   Reply With Quote