Music Banter - View Single Post - Black Metal!
Thread: Black Metal!
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #227 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crinn View Post
I really don't care what you wanna call it. it's atmospheric, it's melodic, it has that classic ambient black metal vibe, it's apparent in parts of many of the songs off that album. After listening to it very closely since it's release and writing a review on the album some years ago, I think that it's safe to say that I've listened to the music closely enough. Have you heard the entire album? Because if you haven't, I highly suggest that you do, because if they're anything, they're technical death. But the reason why I personally consider them to be progressive is because of exactly what you pointed out; those spots of black metal ambience that they've PERFECTLY blended in with the technical chaos of the rest of their sound. I guess it was a bit impulsive of me to approach what you said in that way, maybe because it's not black metal ENOUGH for this thread? I don't know :P But that's my argument, I do 100% understand what you're talking about though. Would I consider the :30 riff to have a black metal sound? Absolutely not. It sounds more like Decrepit Birth (primarily their Polarity album) and Obscura more than anything else.
Hmm, I don't believe I ever said that they weren't "technical death metal", in fact one of the first things I said was that they were "proggy death metal". Of course I've listened to the entire album, that's why I said they don't always make use of black metal style riffing. I'm questioning whether you're actually listening to the music critically because you had a very cut and dry response, that it simply didn't resemble black metal in any way, which simply isn't true from an objective standpoint.

To me, it has nothing to do with the ambience, since that can be a quality of death metal as much as black metal, it's the riffing and chord progressions (essentially punk riffing) in certain parts. I would agree that the predominant influence on the album is death metal and prog, however I think it could potentially appeal to black metal fans as well for the reasons I've already stated.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote