Music Banter - View Single Post - The Emo Album Club: Maybe You, No One Else Worth It
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Big Dog

the way I understand it, an artist at its base is a sum of its influence, individual personality and their own artistic direction. Brave Bird have become so influenced by their influences that they have actually become their influences.

This album is pretty much a Cap'N'Jazz record. The shouting group vocals, the stop/start instrumental progression, even down to the hazy production and sarcastic/ironic delivery of certain lines.

There's nothing technically wrong with this record, but the reason this album didn't take me or as it seems any other persons in this threads imagination is because as Crowquill pointed out, we've heard it before.
If emo is truly to progress, it needs to leave the past and go in new directions, there are several bands out there doing that, whilst Brave Bird seem to be stuck in somewhat of a nostalgia act.

It's good, but I don't think I'll be regularly returning to the album. It does nothing different or particularly better than anyone else.

As for the use of the term 'twinkly' perhaps it's derived from providing a faint glimmer of hope, of optimism. In emo, perhaps the term represents that light at the end of the tunnel, etc. I wouldn't use it as a term in describing music as it's an unrelated adjective. It's like calling an album shiny. It makes no sense.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote