Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #13828 (permalink)
Surell
Master, We Perish

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I'm also getting the urge to plan a Nicholas Cage marathon weekend and plow through most of his films:the good, the bad and the ugly.
You're gonna end up like Abed from Community, i highly caution you against this.

Anyway:

It was really good, lot of good actors, great songs treated nicely and a wild synthesizing and symbolic replacing of actual moments and people making a very unique story. It's a lot of fun to watch and listen to, and uses that 70s drastic zoom in like nobody's business which is always a plus. It has a not exactly chronological storyline - it's more dictated by memory of the Christian Bale character (so adorable) and the people he interviews. Actually it reminded me a lot of Citizen Kane in that way, along with the journalism aspect and the positioning of some of the characters (the old feeble first manager = Kane's guardian from childhood, Maddy Slade = Kane's second wife and possibly the first, etc.); if anyone else has seen this and Citizen Kane, would you say they're comparable at all? Anyway, it's extremely interesting, charismatic, has Brian Eno and Brian Ferry melded into one dude (fucking nuts and too god damned cool), Thom Yorke AND Johnny Greenwood are in the Spiders from Mars equivalent (Venus in Furs (christ that's so genius)) that also performs great Brian Eno songs, and Ewan McGregor whips it out as an Iggy Stooge in a Kurt Cobain lookalike contest. Basically, it's a beautifully arranged mess, like the 70s, a postmodern mythologizing of a fantastic era in pop culture, entirely worth your time as historical document, brilliant film, music education (of sorts), and entertainment, so check it.

Also, Ron Asheton, Thurston Moore, AND Mike Watt are in the Stooges equivalent Wylde Ratttz. Jesus, stop reading and watch the fucking thing Right Now.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote