Music Banter - View Single Post - The Classical Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #179 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

^
I think you meant "Beyond."

Anyway, without knowing exactly what it is in that opening that tickles your funny bone (the dramatics? the specific melody?), here are a few suggestions. To be honest that opening sounds like probably a dozen film scores by John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith or a number of other modern composers. I'll have more later but here are a few to get you started.

You will probably have to turn your volume up for these:

The opening movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony is about as dramatic as you can get. This is my favorite recording of it.

The opening to Ferde Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite is somewhat similar, though you've got to wait a couple minutes for the woodwinds to build up to get to the part I'm thinking of (which starts at the 2:18 mark):

^
That opening literally brings tears to my eyes.

I'll have more later.

Here's another one I was looking for. Just listen until the 8:14 spot - one of the most dramatic openings in music ever. Gotta wait, it builds up to the part I have in mind.

Don't know if this fits your criteria. Much darker and brooding, but kinda-sorta the same thing.

^
If you like that, I've got some Rachmaninov you'd probably like too.

This one is probably closest to the Daft Punk piece I can think off the top of my head, aside from some movie scores:

Perhaps you already know this, but Prokofiev in general has lots of bouncy notes.