Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Recommended by" thread
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
YorkeDaddy
silky smooth

I got a ton of recommendations recently and I've blasted through them all this week. Each was based on the fact that I was looking for an artist similar to Chvrches. There were quite a few so I'll be brief, but here's what I thought of each album:

DJ Recommended:

Born Gold - I Am An Exit
Was interesting, a bit more experimental, liked but didn't love 7/10

Iamamiwhoami - Kin
There were definitely some ambient influences on this one. Wasn't a huge fan of the chick's voice but it was a pretty cool, I really liked "Good Worker" 7/10 as well

Niki and the Dove - Instinct (I know you recommended some EP but I couldn't find that particular one so I got this)
Probably my favorite of what you recommended, really sweet band. Thank you for the recs 8/10

Goofle recommended:

Desire - II
Several of the peeps in this band are also in Chromatics, which is cool. Thought it was solid 7/10 again definitely

Alpine - A is for Alpine
Loved almost every second of it. Wasn't quite as magical as Chvrches, but a definite 8.5/10 from me. "Hands" and "Villages" are fantastic songs.

Fever Ray - Fever Ray
I have a lot of trouble getting into The Knife, and this was really similar. Liked it more than I thought I would but still wasn't great 5/10

Matthew Dear - Beams
I decided to pick up Black City by this guy too and liked that one more. This one was a good album, but I don't get the Chvrches comparison much :P 7/10

Billyjerome recommended AlunaGeorge, who I liked, and Polica, who I've known about for a while and I think they're ok.

9-Time Winner of MusicBanter's "Most Qualified to be a Moderator" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
On this one your voice is kind of weird but really intense and awesome
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote