Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #629 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Album title: Divinities: Twelve Dances With God
Artiste: Ian Anderson
Nationality: British
Year: 1995
Subgenre: New Age mothafuckaaaa!
Player(s): Ian Anderson (Flutes/Being A Pimp); Andrew Giddings (keyboards); Doanne Perry (Percussion); Douglas Mitchell (Clarinet); Christopher Cowrie (Oboe); Jonathan Carrie (Violin); Nina Gresin (Cello); Randy Wigs (Harp); Sid Gander (French Horn); Den Redding (Trumpet)
Familiarity: You think you know Tull? You don't know JACK. However, I'm no dullard when it comes to the Tullard, and I have many an album by the esteemed ensemble. No solo material from Mr. Flute though, so that's a first!
Favourite track(s): In The Times Of India (Bombay Valentine)
Why? Dem flutes son...dem flutes.
Least favourite track(s): Bad trax? Blasphemy!
Why? 'cause
Any preconceptions prior to listening, whether good or bad?
Everyone sayin' it ain't no Tull...but son, Ian Anderson IS Tull. Nobody else flauts like this. I knew this was gonna be New Agey...but I had no idea boy. No idea at all!
Artwork: Snazzy.
Factoids you'd like to share? My uncle sold Anderson a Honda back in the 80's.
Initial impression: I FEEL THE SPIRITS COMIN' DOWN.
End impression: Eh, it was okay.
Comments: Music in a cinematic/New Age sort of vein is a hard sell to anyone outside of a rather thin margin in the progverse, but as a big fan of guys like Patrick O' Hearn and some of the other prog/borderline New Age artists out there, the positive aspects of an album like Divinities... were immediately apparent to me upon listening. Plus if you've ever heard an early 70's raga-rock album or, say, Shpongle, "exotic" flute-dominated instrumental moozak is actually pretty charming in the right context. I could see how someone expecting another Heavy Horses or even Crest Of A Knave would find this particular album kind of boring, but hey...if the mood is right, the music will do its job. Smoke some ganja and you'll be fluting along right alongside Anderson on this album...satisfaction guaranteed brah.

3.5...if only because I like New Age anyway.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote