Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #7599 (permalink)
The Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
In an attempt to divert the discussion away from from boring people like Michael Jackson, I will state the following:

- William Basinski is very very very rubbish.
- What I have heard from DJ Skrew is tolerable, and that's about it.
- Stillmatic > Illmatic
- 2Pac and Biggie aren't in my top 20 rappers ever.
- The Beatles only made one great album (Sgt. Peppers...).

Also...

- Justin Timberlake > Michael Jackson
Not heard of the first two dudes.

Massive disagree on Stillmatic > Illmatic, but that's a conversation that's already been had.
If there was one unpopular Nas opinion, I'd like to voice it's that I Am...The Autobiography is actually really good and was unfairly critically shat on.

Well, the criteria for top 20 rappers is a bit shady, if it's purely personal taste, than there is no right or wrong answer nor definitive list.
In terms of rappers who were best technically, (or actually best at rapping) Biggie's got to be in the Top 20 somewhere. His albums suffered from Diddy's influence and dumb segues more than anything else.
Take the track 'Suicidal Thoughts' for example. Would have been a proper great track if it wasn't for Puff Daddy talking all over it.

On the subject of hip-hop. My supposed 'unpopular' opinion is that 80's hip hop was far more gimmicky and of poorer quality than anything released in the present day.

Agreed on JT > MJ, I've never had any desire to listen to any Jacko album. And 20/20 Experience was 4.5* for me.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote