Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill 2.0: Albums, Artists & The Chance To Win A Million Dollars!
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Genre: Power Pop, Heavy/Progressive Metal, Space Rock

Musical Contemporaries: Anthrax, Soundgarden, Faith No More, King's X, Dream Theater, Hawkwind, Jellyfish, Enuff Z'Nuff

Years Active: 1989 - 2000 (With occasional reunion shows)

As a born and raised anteater/man hybrid from Texas, sometimes I like to remind people that, yes, a lot of great bands have come from my state over the years in all sorts of genres, including the realms of heavy metal. That being said, one particularly exemplary Texan act who emerged in the wake of the early 90's alternative metal/grunge/whatever the fuuck it was music explosion brought on by Pantera and Nirvana were the Galactic Cowboys, a bunch of musical astronauts from Houston who formed out of late 80's prog/glam metal hybrid called The Awful Truth before getting picked up by Geffen Records in 1990. This led to the recording of their amazing self-titled debut album in 1991, which to this day remains one of the best metal albums of the first half of the decade. Ever got a hankerin' for three part vocal harmonies, riffs that will crush your balls to powder, catchy choruses and plenty of general weirdness to boot? That's these guys in a nutshell, and they're pretty goddamn good at what they do whilst still managing to sound fairly unique in the metal landscape. Unfortunately, being unique also means its harder to break out commercially in some respects. Or at the very least, record labels in general seem to really have trouble marketing anything remotely interesting to the sedated masses.

In any case, while these guys never did a bad record, I highly recommend the self-titled (1991) and their "breakout commercial" followup Space In Your Face (1993) for your respective collections. Both albums are absolutely stellar and have been criminally forgotten even by diehard fans of awesome heavy metal, so enlighten yourselves today and hear the glory for yourselves!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 02-20-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote