Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds vs The Beatles' Revolver
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Reading the book Respect Yourself about Stax Records, there's a cool story about how The Beatles wanted to record at Stax in 1966 which would have been for Revolver, although a newspaper leak destroyed any plans due to the obvious reasons. It's already a great album, but just think of what could have happened...

BTW - Not voting. Both are great on their own merits. It all depends on what flavor you want.

Revolver - Sharp, stylish, edgy Pop that was a great reflection of the time with some stunning (and at the time jaw-dropping) experimentation. My favorite Beatles album. Technically, I seriously listen to this more than Pet Sounds, though.

Pet Sounds - Perfect reflective Bedsit album that broke away from the Beach Boys' sound that was getting quickly out of date. Brian Wilson's own personal win. With my taste it's a light affair, but you can't deny the influence it's had on a lot of adventurous music. The break away itself was a spark to many musicians.

Two more steps forward for Pop Music in a year of many more from others.

Last edited by Screen13; 02-20-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote