Music Banter - View Single Post - Totosama's music journal
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
totosama
Music Addict

Aunt Sally - s/t
(Vanity Records - 1979)

Aunt Sally was a short-lived band, part of the first wave of punk in Japan. The band was leaded by Phew, a young japanese girl who had the chance to experience punk in London during a trip during the summer of 1977. Aunt Sally line-up was not usual for the time in Japan, with three girls at the front (guitar, vocals and keyboards) and two boys in the back (bass, drums). Aunt Sally was first influenced by bands like The Ramones and Sex Pistols but quickly stopped copying other bands to focus on creating their own sound (despite the fact they could hardly play their instruments). Their first and only album shows a band far from the typical idea of one can have of punk music. I guess the closest artist of this era I can think of would be Patti Smith.

From the eleven tracks of this LP, 'Subete Urimono' ("everything is for sale") is the only catchy and punk-ish song while the others are more lullaby-like delicate tunes. Phew's out of tune singing adds a fragility feel to the music. The album first and last tracks are longer dissonant and tangled compositions which remind me a bit of Sonic Youth. Aunt Sally has a deliberately soft and austere sound which sets the band apart from most of punk bands from that era. This LP was recorded in only a day so, obviously no overdubs or production tricks here.

This was also the first album released by a punk band in Japan, the less-expensive EP format being the choice of many Tokyo bands at the time (Aunt Sally was from Kyoto). The other seminal records of the genre were two compilations released by major labels (the Tokyo Rockers LP and Tokyo New-Wave LP). Another trivia fact : the record cover is a photograph by Masayoshi Sukita who also did the iconic 'Heroes' cover for David Bowie. Not only Aunt Sally album has historical importance in japanese independent music history but it remains a great listen more than 30 years after its release. I can only recommend this album if my approximate description sparked an interest for you.

Aunt Sally disbanded shortly after the release of this album because 'the only goal we had was to release a record, we didn't have anything else to say with the band at this time'. Phew's next record would take the shape of an EP produced by Ryuichi Sakamoto before going to Germany to work on her first solo album with Can members Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit.

Aunt Sally - Subete Urimono :

Aunt Sally at Drive To 80's festival (1979)

Music Journal

Last edited by totosama; 02-22-2014 at 02:32 PM.
totosama is offline   Reply With Quote