Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #649 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Album title: Seconds Out
Artiste: Genesis
Nationality: British
Year: 1977
Subgenre: ???
Player(s): Phil Collins (Lead vocals, Drums), Mike Rutherford (Guitars, Bass), Steve hackett (Guitars), Tony Banks (Keyboards), Chester Thompson (Most Drums)/Bill Bruford (A Few Drums)
Familiarity: I own every last one of the band's studio output, but this is the first live album I've heard.
Favourite track(s): Dance On A Volcano, Supper's Ready and Firth Of Fifth.
Why? I'm a big fan of all the Trick Of The Tail material obviously, but its also a lot of fun hearing Collins tackle the band's early epic calling card. I personally think he's on par with Gabriel here...
Least favourite track(s): None
Why? Not much of a Genesis fanboy either way: even when the performances aren't perfect, atleast they're interesting. That's what really matters in a live record.
Any preconceptions prior to listening, whether good or bad? None really. Genesis has always been a very professional outfit both during and after the Gabriel era, so Seconds Out is a pretty cool snapshot of where they were in the late 70's.
Artwork: *yawn*
Factoids you'd like to share? Peter Gabriel has a solo career!!!11111
Initial impression: OOOH YEAH HONAYY, TIME FOR SQUONK!
End impression: Los Endos? Give me Ripples damn it!
Comments: Not really the best place to start if your a Genesis fan, but seeing as its one of the only two live recordings of their 70's era, its certainly recommended as a followup to anyone who has gone through the band up to and including Trick Of The Tail. Not sure why people always say Gabriel is a better singer than Collins: they've got such a similar timbre anyway that it doesn't make much of a difference to me. However, I suppose if you are a victim of 80s-Collins-Overload, I can see why his voice would be a detriment to the ears. But hey, I've also met people who don't care much for Gabriel's 80's output too, so you really do find all kinds out there...

Rating: 3.5

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote