Music Banter - View Single Post - Irrational music hatred
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #170 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Sum 41. They were the first band I EVER really listened to. Before them I thought I didn't like music...I heard a sum 41 song in some rythm game, looked it up and thought it was awesome. I saw the genre and thought it was really ''punk''.
It got me into various better pop punk bands, which got me into punk.

But looking back..they're a pretty damn bad pop punk band. Somehow I REALLY hate them now.
But there's other bands that I really dislike. Bands like Panic at the disco! Fall out boy(although I do like that song ''what a catch, donnie''), All time low, Good Charlotte, black veil brides, my chemical romance, etc.

Then there's dream theater.
I'll quote a rant I made on rateyour music forums :

''I tried listening to all of their studio albums. I gave up at systematic chaos. Which means I had 5 more to go after systematic chaos...all 1 hour or something. I heard some cool riffs along the way, but christ is it boring and does it get annoying. CD2 of Six Degrees of Inner turbulance was the worst by them
I've heard, it was like the cheesiest Fantasy RPG Soundtrack I've ever heard. The only thing I actually really liked was ''big medley''. I think the band could work, if they released short versions of their songs with only the cool parts/riffs and called it ''Dream Theater abridged:Just a bunch of cool riffs''

1:The songs AND albums are way too long. I don't care if it's progressive, they could've easily made those songs shorter. On the double album six degrees of inner turbulance there's a song that's 42 minutes, and it was one of their worst imo. Jesus christ. It's so long the listen/reward ratio is extremely low.
2:The singer..He's good at singing at a technical level. But he' so annoying and boring. As soon as he comes in he just makes the song worse, dream theater works better when it's instrumental
3:Just because these guys are extremely technical doesn't mean they're fun to listen to. They're boring. Really ****ing boring
4:They sound cheesy most of the time. Especially the synth, but I can get past that.
5: The lyrics are cliché pretentious crap. Not that it really matters, but the lyrics don't really save these guys.

So all in all, while it's not really BAD, I can't say I enjoyed them. I respect the amound of technical skill these guys have, but I don't like this band at all. If I have to listen to one more album I want to stab myself, THEY"RE SO LONG AND BORING. And it seemed like the further into their discography I got, the less cool riffs I occasionaly got. Nope, not listening to this again, never.
Not putting myself through the horror again that was forcing myself to listen to the entire annihilator discography(disclaimer:their first four albums are good, and a few aren't bad if you like groove metal). At least I KNOW those albums are terrible. These guys's albums are extremely criticly acclaimed. I was never this annoyed at a band before..I expected something amazing after all of that praise.. :c. ''

Last edited by Dylstew; 02-24-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote