Music Banter - View Single Post - Is MB a Tiger Beat music forum?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I just think it's the case that some bands just lose their relevancy and some don't.

In the mid to late 60s The Beatles & The Rolling Stones were outsold by The Dave Clarke Five, does anybody talk about them here?

I remember the 80s, It wasn't The Smiths or Pixies that were selling huge amounts of records then. It was stadium rock bands like Big Country, Simple Minds, INXS in the UK and hair metal in the U.S. How many of those bands do you see get talked about here?

Same for the 90s, It wasn't Neutral Milk Hotel that got any attention, in fact I didn't even see a magazine article about them until 2002. It was bands like Ocean Colour Scene, Cast & Dodgy in the UK and bands like Live, Uncle Kracker, Goo Goo Dolls & Bush selling vast amounts in the U.S.

Basically what it comes down to is the popularity of bands from the past depends on current trends, some stay current, some become relevant even if they may have sold no records at the time and some just drop off the face of the earth no matter how many millions they may have sold in their heyday.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote