Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #1616 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Distinguishing between almost all extreme metal subgenres, even now, is very arbitrary. You can find death metal that's just as poorly produced as black metal, you can find thrash with the technicality of tech death metal, you can find atmospheric, ambient, and symphonic elements in most of the subgenres, too.

I always thought early Slayer, like on Hell Awaits even sounded like first generation black metal tbh. You're right though, black metal has always been noted for it's raw production style, and I would definitely say early Sepultura is closer to black metal than anything else.
It's not just the production. Old school black metal was closer to hardcore punk than a lot of thrash, usually cause the bands didn't play their instruments very well, and it gave them a simpler, noisier sound (such as Venom or Hellhammer OR early Sepultura).

And the reason death metal and black metal could be almost indistinguishable in the eighties was because they were coming from the same influences (such as Venom and Hellhammer). Even in the late eighties when death metal was more defined they still had traces of that sound. Look at Obituary and how obviously influenced by Celtic Frost they were.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote