Music Banter - View Single Post - Is MB a Tiger Beat music forum?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
You're right because Janelle Monae has a similiar issue

BUT

Nine times out of ten if an artist is backed by a mainstream label they have more opportunities for their music to reach more people... that is just a fact. That is not a 100% guarantee for EVERY artist on a mainstream label but the the way they operate is very different from a independent label. They have more commercial backing and artists have more opportunities for exposure unlike if they were on a independent label.
I don't know what you meant by bringing up Janelle Monae.

I took a look at the wiki entry on her and it stated that she was on Atlantic which was bought up by Warner, which leads back to the big three. She recorded on a label (founded by Sean P. Diddy Combs) Bad Boy Records whose parent company is Universal Music Group - back to the big three again that control 88.5% of the market.

Maybe I should also had said that time obscures an artist or band's popularity and that you probably wouldn't know or heard of every artist that is out now. You might know Monae, but probably not ever artist who has recorded on the Atlantic label. And there is so much music out there that there would be quite a few artists you didn't know, even on a big label, that would relatively be obscure to you.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 02-24-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote