Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #210 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

As explained when I began running the series, “House of cards” is a trilogy, based on three separate but linked books, and following the career of Francis Urquhart from lowly Chief Whip of the Conservative Party to the giddy heights of Prime Minister. Each part is titled differently. This is then essentially part two, and follows Urquhart in his role as PM. What follows over the next four episodes shows that when it comes to maintaining his hold on power, Urquhart will not even let the man sitting on the Royal Throne of England stand in his way!

CAST

Francis Urquhart, played by Sir Ian Richardson:
The machiavellan politician is the centrepiece and focus of the three books, so of course he is back to scheme his schemes, sacrificing people left and right like pawns on a chessboard. The one thing Urquhart wants above everything is power, and he will do anything, including murder to get it. He will not stop at taking on the King of England, if the man threatens his position.

His Majesty The King, played by Michael Kitchen: Newly crowned as the figurehead leader of state, the King is a man of principles and ethics, who believes that the poor should be taken care of. There should in fact be no poor: he wants an undivided England. He is at heart a dreamer, though he does retain the loyalty of the people, and his plans to help the disenfranchised and dismantle the different levels of society, to do away with the haves and have-nots, puts him on a direct collision course with the ultimate capitalist, who serves at his pleasure in Downing Street.

Sarah Harding, played by Kitty Aldridge: A pollster who becomes Urquhart’s personal advisor and later mistress. She essentially becomes Mattie Storin Mark II.

Elizabeth Urquhart, played by Diane Fletcher:
Francis’s scheming wife is back to stand by his side, help him cover up the evil deeds he perpetrates, and reap the rewards of those deeds.

Tim Stamper, played by Colin Jeavons: Although Urquhart’s attack dog played a relatively insignificant role in “House of cards”, his influence grows here as he begins to try to rise through the ranks and is thwarted by his mentor. Remember: attack dogs can attack their owner if provoked!

Chloe Carmichael, played by Rowena King: to some extent the Penny of “House of cards”, Chloe is the king’s assistant publicist, a black woman who uses her position at the palace to push her left-wing minority agenda whenever she can. She has fierce admiration for the king, and detests Urquhart as an example of everything she stands against.

David Mycoft, played by Nicholas Farrell: Private secretary to the king, he is a latent homosexual whose marriage is breaking up as the series begins, and whose personal life is about to take over from his professional one, putting him in an impossible position.

Commander Corder, played by Nick Brimble:
If Stamper is Urquhart’s attack dog, Corder is the mad pitbull. He is the finger on the trigger, the knock at the door, the deliverer of brown envelopes that destroy careers. His are the hands that cleanse, his the nod that removes the PM’s enemies at his behest. He is fanatically loyal to Urquhart, cold and methodical, perhaps quietly psychotic as we shall see later and not at all afraid of doing Urquhart's bidding, nor in the least reluctant to carry out his orders, no matter what they might be. In the Middle Ages, he would have been called The King's Hand. And that hand is very bloody.

Episode One

We see the smarmy, self-satisfied face of Urquhart as he speeds along in a limo. He turns to the camera (to us) and remarks “Remember that frightfully nice man who spoke of the classless society? He had to go of course. Everything changes.” This indicates that Urquhart is talking about something that has already happened, and we are about to be taken back in time to witness the events. Indeed, the new king has just been crowned, and Uruqhart, as Prime Minister, is there (as are we now) to witness the coronation. He does not seem taken with him. One imagines a similar reaction to that he had when Henry Collingridge was elected into the office he now holds himself. But Urquhart’s dreams are constantly haunted by the terrible thing he did at the end of “House of cards”, and he sees Mattie’s body falling away from him, over the edge of the rooftop garden and down to smash onto a parked van, as she screams “Daddddyyyyyyy!” It seems he will never be free of the ghost of Mattie. He goes to see the king, summoned there, and meets Chloe Carmichael, the king’s assistant press secretary, and David Mycroft, her boss. He seems a little contemptuous of both, asking Carmichael through his traditional fixed smile that never reaches his calculating eyes, “And just what is your job description?” He seems annoyed that the previous assistant to the monarch, one Sir Edgar, is “taking early retirement”, surely palace code for being let go as the new king brings in his own people?

The king talks of the poor in society, the homeless and the disadvantaged, and how he can help them. Urquhart plays the problem down, saying he too is worried that people are homeless --- though he pointedly adds “however few” --- but that there is really nothing that can be done about it, and he counsels --- warns, really --- the king against “throwing borrowed money at the problem.” Of course, Urquhart couldn’t care less about the poor, the homeless or the unemployed. Like our friend Alan B’Stard, to him these people are a lower form of life, good for one thing only: votes. And not even that any more, as somehow (though it's not explained how --- lack of interest perhaps --- very few of the "underclasses" are said to be even registered to vote. So they're absolutely no use to Urquhart, and if they're no use to him then they can all go to hell. Naturally, he does not voice this position to the monarch.

The king tells Urquhart that the government office buildings to be erected in a prime London real estate area should instead be used for a community centre, something which does not sit well with the PM, though he dare not shoot down the idea outright.Once he gets back to Number Ten though he makes sure that all his cronies are briefed on what to say to the Secretary of State for the Environment when he comes in with his plan, all full of what he is going to do for the inner city, and the whole idea is carefully but firmly shut down, put to one side and Dick Caule, the SoS, can surely feel a hot breath on his neck. Should he turn around he would doubtless see Urquhart bearing down on him, fangs bared! He’s quickly told to accept an alternative position --- “So much better than a straight sacking!” --- and Urquhart and his new Chief Whip, Stamper, celebrate that the contractor they were getting kickbacks from will be able to go ahead with his development as planned.

The king, Urquhart knows all too well, will not be happy that his idea will be blocked now --- with the Secretary of State sacked Caule can not protest, and as it was his baby nobody else will; Francis will obviously appoint someone he can trust to the post now: one of the boys, a sound man who will do what he’s told --- and Urquhart thinks it might be prudent to “take out an insurance policy” against the ruler of the country, asks Stamper to look into it. Meanwhile he interviews, at Elizabeth’s urging, a young opinion pollster called Sarah Harding, whom his wife believes may be the “distraction” her husband craves. He is getting bored, jaded, set in his ways: he needs a new challenge, and Sarah may be the one to provide it. The fact that she’s pretty and sexy certainly helps, but as ever it’s the mind Francis craves, and eventually, the soul.

Given the option, Sarah admits she can’t resist the offer and accepts. Her husband is less than happy, though she has made it clear she is not interested in a sexual relationship with her new employer.

Stamper visits Princess Charlotte, introducing her to Sir Bruce Bullerby, editor of the Clarion newspaper, who she seems to dislike intensely. The Chief Whip has a proposition for her though: he knows she was paid off after her divorce so that certain embarrassing details would not come out and implicate the Royal Family in a scandal. She is hurting from the treatment she received, and no doubt misses the finer things in life, so the chance to get back at the family of her ex-husband speaks to her, especially when she can make so much money at it. But there is a problem: she was warned by the Palace not to blab or something nasty would happen to her. Stamper tells her Bullerby will pay her for her story --- “for history” --- but not publish it till after her death. She will get the best of both worlds: when she passes on her story can be told and until then she can live in the luxury to which she has become accustomed, and which at present evades her.

There is of course a catch: Bullerby wants to “become her friend” … in every way. The princess is repulsed by the idea --- she hates and loathes the fat balding man --- but there is the money, calling, already in Stamper’s briefcase just waiting to be handed over. She agrees, and Urquhart now has his insurance policy, a weapon to use, should it be needed, against the king. Speaking of the king --- literally --- he tells the PM that he intends to make a speech in ten days time to the charitable commission which will outline his desire to help the poor, close up the divisions in the country and place more emphasis on helping people. Urquhart, needless to say, is unimpressed.

Chloe convinces the king to keep his speech as it is, although he has at last acquiesced to Urquhart’s request for a copy, while David Mycroft reveals to His Majesty that his own marriage is over and goes out, gets attacked and finds his way into a private gentleman’s club, where he gets picked up. He realises for the first time in years that he has been fooling himself into thinking he is straight, and throws himself into an affair with his new friend. Urquhart summons Sarah to his townhouse, where he asks her for her opinion of the speech the king intends to give. She is as deprecating of it as is the Prime Minister, and performs what he gleefully calls a “surgical emasculation” on the speech, taking all of value, ie everything important, everything the king wanted to say, out of it and leaving a bland, pointless missive.The king is of course furious, and determines to read the speech as he had written it. Chloe tells him he should also make public the fact that the government tried to censor it.

It’s Urquhart’s turn to be furious, as the papers get hold of the fact that he tried to rewrite the king’s speech and he demands His Majesty instigate an investigation into how the leak happened at the Palace.

QUOTES
Urquhart: “A new king! A new age of hope and peace and spiritual growth. Etcetera.”

Elizabeth: “Everything you have done in the past was for your country’s good. Everything.”

Urquhart: “I must confess, I do feel a residual frisson. A king is a king after all, and the sherry is usually excellent. I do hope there won’t be any changes there. One hears these rumours about … camomile tea!”

His Majesty: “Well now, you’ve had a lot more practice at this sort of thing than I.”
Urquhart: “Perhaps Sir, but I’m sure you have had the benefit of your mother’s exceptional experience and her valuable counsel. As have I myself.”
His Majesty: “Yes. She said you listened very courteously and deferentially, and then went away and did exactly as you pleased! Is that how it was?”
Urquhart: “Oh that’s very good, Sir. Her Majesty always did enjoy a little joke at my expense. She understood the constraints that bind us very well: we can none of us do exactly as we please. And that’s probably a good thing.”
(This is an interesting first warning shot from Urquhart. He is advising the new king that he had better not have any funny ideas, now that he is in power, about actually doing anything. In Urquhart’s view, a king, or queen, is nothing more or less than a figurehead, someone to bow to and smile at and say “Yes Sir” or “Yes Ma’am”. But the business of running the country had best be left to him and his cabinet. He of course smiles when he says this, but his eyes are as ever hard as diamond and his smile the sort of thing you might expect to see if a cobra could smile.)

His Majesty: “You’re a clever man, Mr. Urquhart.”
Urquhart: “You’re too kind Sir. I’d rather be remembered as a wise man than a clever one, though I think sound man is the highest praise I can expect.”
His Majesty: “I’d like to be remembered as a good man.”
(Here we have the fundamental difference between the two men. Urquhart would rather be a “sound man”: one who gets the job done, no matter what. One who can be relied on. One who will let nothing stand in the way of achieving his goal. Honed in his years as Chief Whip, when he had to “put a bit of stick about”, keep the troops in line, and became both respected and feared, and carried through to the highest office in the land, where if anyone says anything bad about him it’s certainly not to his face. The King, on the other hand, is an idealist, and believes that with great power comes great responsibility. He is distressed at the plight of the poor and believes that it is his job to try to help them.

The thing he does not understand, fails to grasp utterly, is that he is a constitutional monarch; his power comes from Parliament and he can really do little or nothing without their agreement and approval. He is not a feudal lord: his word is not law. Well, not if it does not tie in with what the Prime Minister thinks is “best for the nation”. This idealogical chasm will grow as the two most powerful men in the land face off against one another, leaving room for only one victor.)

Urquhart: “Did you write in the "Observer" that Francis Urquhart is like a shark: he has to keep moving forward to stay alive?”
Sarah: “Not a very flattering simile, I’m sorry.”
Urquhart: “Well, better a shark than a sheep, I suppose.”

Sarah: “I’m interested in looking at power close up. I want to see how it works.”
Urquhart:”You know how it works, Sarah. It corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
Sarah: “There’s no such thing as absolute power.”
Urquhart: “If you work for me, you will give me your absolute allegiance.”
(Another interesting point here. Urquhart is playing with Sarah, letting her know that he is inherently evil, that should she make a compact with him she is getting into bed (literally, after a while) with the devil himself. He offers her the contract, but she must sign it of her own free will. The Devil never forces or coerces anyone to make that pact: they must do so willingly and with the full knowledge (so far as they are aware) of what they are getting into.)

His Majesty: “I want to talk about the wastage of human resources as well as natural resources, about the divisions in our country --- north and south, rich and poor, hope and despair --- and what we can do about it. Well, you know what I’m talking about: you must be as desperately concerned about it as I am!” (Yeah…)

Urquhart: “All I’m saying Sir is that in a constitutional monarchy the sovereign cannot be seen to be opposing his own government.”
(And there lies the rub. This is exactly what is happening. When Urquhart hears the king’s speech (hah!) is already written he asks --- demands really --- that his people be allowed to “go over it”, which the king knows means the big red pen of censorship. He refuses, and the Prime Minister knows that he is about to have a battle on his hands, one which he may not find that easy to win. After all, nobody has taken on the ruler of Britain since Oliver Cromwell, and we know how that turned out!. Interestingly, tellingly in fact, this is the first time when in His Majesty’s presence that we see the smile slip from Urquhart’s face. The mask slides and for a brief moment the cold dead eyes of an indomitable will to survive stare out, like the last look an assassin gives his target before pulling the trigger.)

Urquhart (to camera): “Strong words. But I’m afraid we can’t allow it. If he thinks that being king gives him the right to say what he likes then he is a bloody fool!”

Urquhart: “He has to learn. People wouldn’t take kindly to a man with three Bentleys lecturing them on equality!”

Urquhart: “Your Majesty, as a private man you are free to entertain any beliefs you like, but as the monarch you have no beliefs, or shall we say, no personal political convictions. Not in public.”

Elizabeth: “Oh dear. he was difficult, was he?”
Urquhart: “He was yes. I think we have a new leader of the opposition.”
Elizabeth: “Break him, Francis. Bring him down.”
Urquhart: “I’ll bring the lot of them down if I have to.”
(This short speech tells us so much about Francis Urquhart, as if we didn’t already know. He is talking about what could be seen in some quarters or from some viewpoints as treason: going up against his king, forcing him to abdicate, pushing him out of power. He would be happy to bring down the entire monarchy as long as he retains his vicelike grip on power. He’ll tell us it’s for the good of the country, but by now we know better. Sometimes, the interests of the nation coincide with those of Urquhart. When they do, that’s fine. When they don’t, it will always be the Prime Minister’s concerns that win out. FU helps nobody but himself.)

Power behind the throne
Perhaps to be taken literally this time around, as Urquhart takes on the very king himself. But it is as ever Elizabeth who keeps him on his mental toes. In “House of cards” itself it was she who convinced her husband to run for the position of leader of the party, when he had entertained no such notions himself. It was she who assisted in the “removal” of Roger O’Neill, and now here again she is ready to stand behind Francis and support him no matter what.

She starts by acquiring for him “Mattie Storin Version 2.0” in the pollster Sarah Harding. She sees in her a brilliant mind --- and a fabulous body! --- that will surely intrigue Urquhart and help him to face the trials coming. When Francis complains about the king being awkward, she encourages him to destroy the man: “Break him, Francis!” she smiles. “Bring him down.” And she knows, and we know, that he can and will.

The Royal “We”

Urquhart is again at it: “We can’t allow that to happen” he tells us. Again, whether he is talking at this point about the party as a whole, the government or all interested parties, or taking us into his confidence and making us part of his conspiracy (after all, we know about what happened on the rooftop garden, don’t we? And we haven’t gone blabbing to the papers) is at this point unclear, yet it seems certain that Urquhart sees the world in black and white, as a clear case of “us” and “them”. And “them” don't stand a chance against him!

Last edited by Trollheart; 03-03-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote