Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Essential Emo Albums I Have Never Heard

This is a new section, in which I'll listen to and review some essential emo albums I have never heard, loosely based on Trollheart's Classic Albums I Have Never Heard. Sorry, Trollheart, I know January's over, but this is a free cave!

The reason I'm starting this is because even though I'm the unofficial leader of an emo album club, I think my knowledge of the genre is pretty... limited. Therefore I shall hear the essential albums, and rip off Trollheart at the same time.

I want to start at the beginning, but since I'm mostly interested in the second wave, I'll kick this off with...

Artist: Jawbreaker
Album: Unfun
Year: 1990

Before listening:

I'm pretty sure this is a second wave emo album, even though it was Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary, which was released four years later, that defined the movement. What made Jawbreaker unique was how they took the expressive vocals and emotional subject matter from the first wave and folded it into a neat(-ish) pop punk package, and therefore they're second wave, I think. Manky, or some other expert, help me understand this.

Favourite track: “Want”

Final impression:
Good, solid pop punk. I think the vocals are great, because of the hoarseness. I think I read that it was polyps that caused it, and that Blake had to get surgery to remove them. That's why his voice sounded softer when he started singing with Jets to Brazil. Anyway, this is not punk for worrying parents, this is an introverted, almost sensitive (especially on the opener, "Want") brand of punk.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote