Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official 'Ice Cube Doesn't Get The Credit He Deserves' Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #92 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
It's a bit subjective I guess, I mean:

Depends which demographic you asked. I would say a household name would be known amongst all age groups and people who have an interest in that person's field or not, which wouldn't be the case for Ice Cube imo. If I asked my parents if they had heard of him I know for a fact they'd say no. But Di Caprio/Will Smith/Angelina Jolie in movies they definitely would. They would know who Jay-Z is too, maybe not Kanye West.
Another definition is that you're simply well-known. IMO, your definition doesn't leave a whole lot of grey area. You have to meet certain, specific guidelines that are, frankly, unreasonable. Being known by all age groups regardless of their interest in music or not implies that you're known by everyone, and in the grand scheme of things, there are 7 billion people who live on this planet. Some of them have no concept of music, some of them don't have access to radio or television, and even Lady Gaga may not even be considered a "household name" by your definition.

My definition I think is very simple, but sets a standard that you're compared relative to everyone else. I think it means that anyone who's in the public eye, someone who you've heard of but don't know personally more or less, is a household name. I think that's pretty fair, and I think Ice Cube meets that standard without question. He has 5.3M likes on Facebook, which might not be a lot amongst some other major players in music, but is still a very high number.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote